Cancer is no longer a rare disease that used to affect people earlier but it is now considered as a lifestyle disease, that affects lakhs of people every year in India. There are nearly 2.5 million people living with cancer. currently. Around 7,00,00 cancer cases are registered every year and the number of deaths annually is 5,56,400.
The survival rate in India is just 66%. Some of the most common cancers in India include oral cancer, cervical cancer and breast cancer, which affects 25.8 per 100,000 women.
Breast cancer occurs when cells start to grow abnormally in the breast tissue. At times, there are lumps found in the breast tissue. However, it’s not necessary that they’ll always be cancerous.
There are various causes for breast cancer. These include:
- Inherited genes
- A family history
- A personal history of breast conditions
- A personal history of breast cancer
- Dense breast tissue
- Onset of periods at a young age
- Beginning of menopause at an older age
- Having your first child at an older age
- Women not undergoing pregnancy
- Exposure to radiation
- Smoking and drinking
- Nipple discharge
The symptoms of breast cancer include:
- A breast lump
- A change in appearance of breasts
- Redness or rash
- Crusty skin
- Inward turned nipple
- Pain in breasts
Oral or mouth cancer occurs anywhere in the mouth, tongue, lips, insides of the cheeks, in the gums, in the tonsils or salivary glands.
- The symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Mouth sores or ulcers that refuse to heal
- Red or white patches on the lining of the mouth
- Swelling in the mouth that persists for 3 weeks
- A lump or thickening of the skin
- Pain while swallowing
- Loose tooth for no apparent reason
- Pain in jaw or stiffness
- A sore throat
- A sensation that something is stuck in the throat
- Hoarse voice
- Persistent pain in the ear or neck
The causes of oral cancer include:
- Exposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun
- Smoking and chewing tobacco
- A diet rich in red meat
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Regularly chewing betel nuts
Cervical cancer occurs when the cells in the cervix grow abnormally and invade other parts of the body.
Most women diagnosed with cervical cancer are in their 20s and 30s.
Causes of cervical cancer include:
- Human papillomavirus
- Having multiple sexual partners
- A weakened immune system
- Long term mental-stress
- Several pregnancies
- Giving birth at a very young age
- Birth control pills
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Symptoms of cervical cancer include:
- Bleeding between periods
- Bleeding in postmenopausal women
- Bleeding after sexual intercourse
- Smelly vaginal discharge
- Vaginal discharge tinged with blood
- Pelvic pain
How crowdfunding can help in cancer treatment
Treatment for cancer is exorbitant in India, especially in private healthcare. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy sessions can cost anywhere between Rs. 5 lakhs to 15 lakhs. People often rely on conventional methods such as borrowing loans, insurance covers, borrowing loans from family and friends, etc. But 80% Indians aren’t eligible for loans and many face the pressure of debts after failing to repay loans.
Today, crowdfunding in India is increasing in popularity, owing to its effectiveness and simple technique. Crowdfunding is a practice through which you can raise funds online, with the help of a large crowd. You can ask each person to contribute a small amount to add to the goal amount. From medical causes, to social to creative, a lot of initiatives have been funded through crowdfunding.
This practice has helped save many lives, especially in cases of cancer.